No wonder the right wing is upset.
More than 17,000 teachers signed up to access people’s history lessons in 2021, bringing our full registration at the Zinn Education Project to almost 140,000 teachers from every state in the country.
- read the news with a critical eye,
- assess current events through the lens of history,
- be alert to issues of racial and climate justice, and
- see through red-baiting and fear-mongering scare tactics.
The Zinn Education Project provides teachers with free lessons and workshops on people’s history to teach outside the textbook. In 2021, we:
- Organized national days of action to protest the wave of right-wing attacks on teaching
- Developed new lessons on How the Word Is Passed, McCarthyism, and the Green New Deal
- Offered a new series of “Teach the Black Freedom Struggle” online classes
- Expanded the number of Teaching for Black Lives Study Groups from 30 to 100, supporting educators in 29 states
- Produced a national report analyzing K–12 curriculum standards on Reconstruction across the country as part of our Teach Reconstruction Campaign — to be released in January.